Monday 11 July 2016

What is a voice with no power? (Part 1: FIA F3 Europe)

Image courtesy of www.editthumbs.com
 
Hello, you. The name is Luca, but you can call me Luca and, I have no power.
 
I obviously have some of course, and I feel extremely entitled saying it so bluntly as that. I don't like to complain about my life so much because I have it really good, I have a very supportive and loving family and I always remind myself how lucky I am. Some people have no family, or a divided family, some even have a family that rejects them, and so many other aspects of people's lives that I will be better off with.
 
So that's why I never want to appear ungrateful, I appreciate so much in my life and feel bad if I feel like I have been dealt a bad hand and feel the need to complain, I don't take for granted what I have in life. So with this article, I am not looking to complain at all, I am just wanting to express my experiences with a particular situation I was involved in a few years ago, and even though I had the correct ideas, my lack of power meant nothing ever happened.
 
Back in 2013, the FIA European Formula Three championship had just entered its first proper season as its own championship after the FIA had taken over and was going from strength to strength. It had originally stemmed from the F3 Euroseries, launched back in 2003 after the efforts of the German and French F3 championships merged together and it had since then ran alongside the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters, Germany's leading racing championship.

When the FIA took over the championship, I could see potential to take this championship to the next level. To distance it from being a by-product of the DTM and instead, support many other championships to take advantage of the European F1 circuits that the junior racing drivers that take part in F3, would go to if their aim is to get to F1.

To achieve this, I got in touch with someone whose identity I am refraining from telling you. He worked closely in the DTM and European F3 field, and he agreed that since the FIA had taken over the Euro F3, it would be best to move away from primarily supporting the DTM. Infact the Euro F3 has been doing that steadily since 2013, but never completely in the direction it honestly should have.

The DTM championship tends to use shorter variants of circuits, according to another friend whose identity I will withhold also who is a racing driver and has driven in European F3, his exact words in an email to me are as follows:

"This is a very interesting point that you make and I think very well timed.
Honestly my thoughts when doing the Euro Series was why on earth did we race on such short versions of all the circuits. As you say in my opinion it is stupid having the likes of Brands Indy, short Nürburgring, short Barcelona, short Hockenheim on the calendar and there were even talks of using the short version at Zandvoort!
As it is now the FIA series then it would be an ideal time to distance itself from DTM and focus on the relevant tracks with full layouts.
It is far more productive to spend your time driving high spec F3 cars on full grand prix circuits rather than mickey mouse track layouts."
 
So onto my idea, it was basically a schedule that visited the circuits on the F1 calendar supporting multiple championships. It was heavily reliant on other championships visiting that circuit, so initially when I planned this back in 2013 for the following year, I assumed the World Touring Cars would run at Monza and they didn't.

This schedule I had planned for the European F3 included Monza, Silverstone, the Hungaroring, the Grand Prix de Pau, Monaco, the Red Bull Ring, Spa-Francorchamps, the Nürburgring, Zandvoort and Hockenheim. Though the fact that at the time, I had the idea to have Euro F3 run alongside the Blancpain Endurance Series rounds at Spa and the Nürburgring but that's a story for another day.

My idea was that Formula Three go to Silverstone, Spa and the Nürburgring supporting the World Endurance Championship, Monaco supporting F1 and Zandvoort, Red Bull Ring and Hockenheim supporting the DTM.

Anyway so now I've probably spent too much time explaining the full idea to you. My friend who had close ties with DTM and Euro F3 gave me the email address to a superior within the FIA European F3 heads at the time, and I emailed him proposing this idea but he never got back to me.

I'm not unreasonable, I believe I'm not anyway. I know some things in the schedule I had planned may have needed some fine tuning, I know for a fact that Pau and Monaco being back-to-back with the Grand Prix de Pau taking place the Monday before the Monaco Grand Prix, giving the teams two days to travel from the North to the South of France, minus repairs etc.

Nonetheless, the concept was there. Think of my old ideas as something big and out of this world, then as time went on, watered down to something grounded in realism in time but the main idea was there. However, even with my racing driver friend and the other guy who worked closely in the DTM and Euro F3 field supporting me, seeing my points, the Euro F3 bosses have not listened and instead had the opening round of this year's schedule at the piece of shit track that is Paul Ricard.

This isn't a matter of my ideas not being good enough, I understand again that they'd need refining, it was more of the fact that I did not have the power. I was not looking for money in this matter, I was wanting to see the European F3 to become an incredible force and it is still, incredibly underwhelming. Perhaps because the national Formula Three championships had to fold because Euro F3 became so accessible.

I've decided to split this particular post into two, this took so bloody long to write and I have not got to my main point. I have other instances where I have tried to propose some stuff, but I'll touch on that briefly in my next post. However my next post will mainly centre on a big upcoming actor, an adaptation of a best selling book and a major movie studio, which if you personally would care about, help spread the word and I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all for checking out my post. I want to hear your thoughts on this, not that a lot of you would know everything so I hope I've done all I can to help you all understand where I am coming from.

Also, I reiterate that I will complete this with my second post, which I will get to work on immediately. However, GTA Online is getting an update on Tuesday and I'll probably end up playing the living crap out of it, but this means a lot to me too so I'll be pouring my heart into the next post.

If you're new here, you can get every new post sent directly to your email if you care to see my future posts. Or you can follow me on Twitter @TheLucaFormat and you will see me forcing it onto your feed like one desperate for attention shithead.

Alright! I'm leaving it off here. See you peoples soon.

So until we meet again,
Luca.

No comments:

Post a Comment